Thursday, March 29th, 2012
SXSW 2012 Night Three A/V
- Mysterious Los Angeles duo who perform as a trio and prefer nothing to be known about them besides that they dig The Velvet Underground, Everly Brothers and Jesus & Mary Chain who’ve just released the equally mysteriously-titled EP.
Photos: Tashaki Miyaki @ Latitude 30 – March 16, 2012
MP3: Tashaki Miyaki – “Somethin’ Is Better Than Nothin’”
Video: Tashaki Miyaki – “Best Friend”
Video: Tashaki Miyaki – “Somethin’ Is Better Than Nothin’”
Video: Tashaki Miyaki – “Get It Right”
Stream: Tashaki Miyaki / EP
- Brooklyn-based five-piece that sounds like what you’d expect a Brooklyn-based five-piece in 2012 to sound like; all dreamy guitars and complex rhythms. They’re in town at Lee’s Palace on April 14 opening for We Were Promised Jetpacks. The Vinyl District and EastScene have features on the band.
Photos: Fort Lean @ Karma Lounge – March 16, 2012
MP3: Fort Lean – “Sunsick”
Video: Fort Lean – “Beach Holiday”
Video: Fort Lean – “High Definition”
Video: Fort Lean – “Perfect”
Stream: Fort Lean / Fort Lean
- Just another Norwegian all-girl ska-pop band; a dime a dozen. Just kidding about that latter part – a bit understated but fun times.
- Youthful Minneapolis outfit who’ve been tagged as the next saviours of garage rock. Whether it’s actually true or just hyperbole, their debut America Give Up is pretty good and their live show is better; see for yourself at The Drake Underground on April 5. The Vancouver Sun, Georgia Straight, and San Francisco Examiner have feature pieces on the band.
- London-based Thurlow sisters who recall the goth- and dream-pop acts of the ’80s with an added dose of sultriness. Their self-titled debut is due on May 28; look for them in Toronto for NXNE – June 15 at Lee’s Palace, to be precise – as part of a North American tour. The Fly has an interview with the pair.