Tuesday, November 28th, 2006
Please Mr Postman
I get a lot of promos in the mail. I think my mailman hates me because of this. But that’s beside the point. The point is that while all the music is great – I’m not complaining – it takes up a lot of space. Like A LOT. I also end up with a lot of padded mailers – you know, the manila envelopes with the bubble wrap inside – that I feel bad about tossing if they’re in good shape. So I save those. For what specific purpose, I know not, but again – they take up a lot of room as well. This is an ongoing problem, but one to which I have come up with a solution.
In keeping with the holiday spirit, I am conducting the first maybe-annual Chromewaves “Let Your Mailbox Live Like A Blogger’s” Giveaway & Reader’s Poll. That’s right, I am giving your mailbox a chance to live like mine for a day and get crammed full of stuff you’ve never heard of and may not want. I am giving away the following:
5 large and 5 medium padded mailers, filled with CDs, CD-Rs, stickers, pins, coasters (really). Maybe even a DVD. I think I have some. Hell, maybe I’ll even cram some press releases in there.1
But that’s not all! I have had a stack of t-shirts sitting here for who knows how long and I’m not entirely sure where they came from. But what I do know is they’re brand new and have gots to go. I’ve got the following:
1) Wolfmother – this one. That’s gold foil ink, yo! Men’s American Apparel medium.
2) Oranger – black with band name in light blue and “New Comes And Goes” on front. Men’s American Apparel large.
3) World Leader Pretend2 – this one. Men’s Fruit Of The Loom large.
4) Dungen – this one. Men’s American Apparel medium.
5) Metric – this one. Men’s Alstyle Apparel (?), medium.
I have some autographed CDs from the class of 2005. Autographed by the band – not just some guy off the street:
That’s a grand total of twenty prizes. Ho ho ho. For your part, I want you to leave a comment telling me three things:
1) Your top five records of 2006, in order of preference.
2) Your personal taste in music, written in as many expansive, over-hyphenated subgenre descriptors as you can muster. Like, “retro-cosmic-garage-Balkan-hardcore”. Besides amusing me, this will assist me in putting together your prize pack. Just because I get stuff I have no interest in, doesn’t mean you do as well. Though obviously I make no promises that you will enjoy anything I send. And hopefully I’ve got something in the piles of stuff that will suit your tastes.
3) What prize you want – you wanna the t-shirt, you no get the mailer grab bag. You wanna the grab bag, you no get the autographed CD. Just tell me which you’d like the most.
But otherwise, that’s it. This is open to anyone in the world so long as you adhere to requirements 1 and 2. Oh, and use an email address that you’ll actually check – if you’re worried about spambots then write it in the comment all broken up but indentifiable-like. I need to be able to contact you – if I don’t hear back from you within, say, 72 hours, I’ll pick a new winner. Prizes will be awarded by random selection from all qualifying entrants and when something is gone, it’s gone. Large bags go first, then the mediums. But if you want, say, the Metric shirt and it’s gone when you’re selected as a winner but there’s still grab bags available, you’ll get one of those. Trust me, this all makes sense in my head and hopefully it will all pan out hassle-free. This contest will run until midnight, December 8 – I’d hope that I could get everyone’s prizes out to them by the holidays but we’ll have to see.
As for the reader’s poll portion of the contest, I will tally up all the entrants and post the results at a later date. Wholly unscientific and with no bearing on my own list, it should still be interesting to see the tastes of folks who visit here.
And no, I didn’t really feel like writing a proper post for today.
1 – If you are one of the labels or promo companies who sent me these CDs and wish to invoke the old, “this CD is the property of the label and must be returned at their request”, please just send me an SASE and it’s en route back to you.
2 – No, I’ve no idea who these guys are either. But it’s a nice shirt.
np – Trespassers William / Having